Thursday, February 28, 2008

Business Plan Blues = Naturopathic Green

Attempting to write ones' business plan when coming from a background of science, labwork and research papers was a challenging assignment. There was so much "real-world" information I needed to gather, like, how much does a business phone line cost anyways....and what options DO I need on it?!?...Does format really matter or is content more important?...and by the way just who are those elusive beings I call patients, and how do I really find out their likes and dislikes?

As I'm, yet again, adding the final touches (final plumbing quote) to my document I had thought finished, I have finally come to the understanding this will continue to be a fluid file until I retire.

Not only will it guide my business decisions but this all powerful stack of paper will show me the stark reality be it bad or good.

So hear are some tips I learned that may help you write your business plan.


  1. Format - Only mentioned here because I gave it waaaay too much time ....get the info, the format will follow. [It will expand into several folders anyways!]
  2. Market research - Hit the Pavement .....local community centers...friends...family...ask lots of locals their opinions. Be on the look out for local "Hubs" of knowledge, the chatty ones who just HAVE to give you their opinion....even about things you didn't ask, they are a precious resource! Also check out Stats Canada http://www.statisticscanada.ca/ and your local city/town webpage or office for development plans.
  3. Mentors - Don't forget to ask other Doc's and their staff questions...What is the buzz from their patients? What works? What doesn't? There are some very well run practices and they are usually very happy to help.
  4. Changes - Make Them! You plan is the guide posts to measure you practice by, if it isn't working, find out why and adjust accordingly. You first calculations are just that, the first, they will most likely change.

I hope my acknowledgement that I will continue to update my business plan throughout my career has helped relieved any perfectionist Naturopathic Student stress you were experienceing...I know I feel better that my plan will never be done.

No comments: